Everyone deal with grief in their own way. I get that. But when grief turns to anger and is misdirected, it just spells U_G_L_Y. Yep, all in caps.
As my husband and I lay in bed last night and talked about how we feel about the day's goings on, as he shared his fears and his dreams and his worries, I found myself commenting on where we are. As things fall apart around us, as relationships are pushed to the edge, as we watch friends and family torn up and torn apart, I marvel that is is us that are holding together. I would not have said either of us are at our best in a crisis. But I am surprised at how we have meshed our gifts. When I fall apart, he provides the strength our little family needs to stay together. This week, his turn to need to borrow some strength and I have been able to provide for him. We vowed "for better and for worse, in good times and in bad". Well, this is one of those worse, bad times. And we are surviving it. As I shared my thoughts, and said to him, "Through 8 years, through the times we never thought we'd make it, through the most difficult days we have gone through, the times we have caused each other such pain, did you ever imagine we would be this couple? The ones, out of all the crisis we see around us, that we are standing strong together?? I never imagined this." And he turned to me, and pulled me close and said, "Gee, Baby, you sure know how to sweet talk a guy." Yeah, I guess the words did not express my true feeling, but I think he understood.
No comments:
Post a Comment