April 15, 2010

trees

I bought my husband an early Father's Day/late Anniversary gift.  It counts for both, since it blew my budget.   I got him a BIG tree.  A 36 inch box tree - Australian Bottle Tree.  It is shaped like--- you guessed it, a bottle.  Tall and slender.  Then he and I had to figure out how to get it into the ground.  Yeah, preggo me, with a weight restriction of no more than 30 pounds, and him with ongoing back problems.   But we did it.  Sat on my butt and pushed with my feet while he bore all the weight of the tree itself.  And its roots.  And dirt.  So awkward, but we make quite the team. 

For my birthday, he got me a climbing rose bush, and an Apple tree.  Are you sensing a trend?  But how excited am I that he picked two of my favorite things?  The Apple already has two small apples growing on it, and we'll probably let those two ripen but pinch of the rest this season, and maybe next, but what fun will it be to tell the kids to go outside and pick an apple to put in their lunch for school?  Girl already eats her tomoatoes as fast as they turn red on the vine, so we never have any extra.  Time to get the rest of my veggies in the ground, but I need to wait until Daddy gets his planting done so decisions can be made on location...

No comments:

Post a Comment