Have I shared that the Girl is gifted? Duh, right, every mom thinks that. No, seriously. After repeated recommendations from other teachers, I finally requested that she be tested. Yep, scientifically speaking, she is gifted, and will be started gifted classes next fall.
My child, she pretended she could not read so that I would read to her. Nope, says her teacher, make her read - she reads for me all the time. Typical, says the gifted teacher, school comes easy, so even at her age they will take the easy way out since they don't have to work as hard to be successful. HMMMPF. We will see how often we fall for this!
Thinks outside the box all the time. Wish I could think of an example, but I actually get how her mind works, so she does not often catch me totally off guard - I can usually see the connections. But this is what made the other teachers start advising we get testing.
Today I said something about dinosaurs and cavemen while reading a story (this is a cherished part of our evening, whether she can read the book on her own or not). She rolled her eyes and told me, "mom, they never lived at the same time. maybe a caveman found a fossil or something, but that is it." Shheeeesh.
Wow! She IS a smart cookie. I bet she'll enjoy the gifted classes.
ReplyDelete