June 19, 2010

Reflections

I look in the mirror.
 I see the woman:
the mother,
 the wife,
the sister,
 the daughter,
the friend,
 the aunt,
the teacher... 
I see me.

Sometimes that glass darkens
and blurrs
and I forget
to look through the poorly reflected image
 to the real me,
the one inside. 

The one that needs to take time
to be the wife
and mother
 first. 

The one that cries
tears of joy,
tears of anger,
tears of sadness
so easily
But forgets to laugh

It is time to forget
those tears of anger
tears of sadness
meaningless chores
and imposed responsibilities.
To forget what others say
I need
and meet my own needs

chase my own dreams

Find the woman
behind
the
reflection

2 comments:

  1. I love this poem...it's so true. It seems so hard sometimes to not life get in the way of our dreams. Some days I am so focused and grounded and connected to myself and other days I'm in survival mode. It's those days I find myself not enjoying anything; it's like I'm just here trying to get through the day. Then I go to sleep, wake up and try to remember each day is a chance to start over... to enjoy this gift I have been given. Love u Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The anonymous post was by me- Nicole. Can't figure out how to post with my name...silly me

    ReplyDelete