March. Last year, I was in false-calm mode as we approached the wedding in 2 weeks. Everything not-last-minute was done. Except the DJ. That was HIS job. I ended up taking care of it.
But that is neither here nor there.
March. We got married in March. Now, I am no Pioneer Woman, no Black Heels to Tractor Wheels here, but here is our story - at least highlights -
We met. We don't know exactly when, because we met through mutual friends. We know where - swordfighting park, between 8-9 years ago. I remember thinking his friend was cute, so I went up to them to say hi. (I really don't think his friend is actually that cute anymore, but the Daddy sure is hunky). I asked the two of them to join my army so that my BMF and I could be King and Queen (long story). (The BMF was, at the time, my ultimate epitome of manliness, and this pretend King Queen thing in our swordfighting club was as close as we would ever get to any sort of romance, as he was about to asked his GF to elope. Bummer. But I love them both to death, so it all turned out all right. Besides, everyone needs one really good unrequited-love-story to make the real thing that much better.) But back to the story. The Daddy said no, he already promised someone else to fight for them. But he did fall on his sword for me. Good man. But still, not dating yet.
Fast forward. A few "business" phone calls, nothing personal. Then one day, I felt like calling, but felt that was too forward to just call him up. So, I came up with a most excellent cover story.
"Um, Hi. I have this message from you but my voicemail is not working right, so I don't know if it is old or new. So I am just calling to see." Stop talking. Just stop talking. By the way, did I mention to you, readers, there is this other guy that thinks we are dating, but I think we are not. Long story. Not the Daddy. A different guy. This will be relevant later.
"No, that must be an old message. Haven't called you recently."
"Oh. Sorry." S***! Now what do I say?
"But hey, if you ever just want to call me, it is ok. You don't have to make up a story next time." Busted. What do I say? What do I SAY? WHAT DO I SAY?
So I laugh. I am super cool, obviously. "Ok. So, what are you up to?"
"Dinner with ***" (Previously mentioned used-to-think-he-was-cute friend.) "Wanna come? It is just me and the guys."
Yay. My super-lame-so-let's-be friends-overture worked and after this dinner with his guy friends, which is apparently rather a rare thing to invite a GIRL to come to...and then the Daddy starts calling me at home. No date yet. But no one ever said that "super-obvious" doesn't work better than subtle. Also, I never really claimed to be other-than-a-dork. :)
NOTE: We talked about this last night, and he still laughed that I used that lame line about the messages. :) What a man.
No comments:
Post a Comment